1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Discussion in 'Volcano Bay Water Park' started by Brian G., May 28, 2015.

1. Frank Drackman

Frank Drackman Premium Member

Not sure if I ever got around to it, but I know I once had wanted to take pictures of all the bamboo around CBBR.

Not sure why, I think I've been reading around here too long or something :)
    But last time I stayed at Cabana, I recall enjoying seeing different varieties and the many ways they used bamboo around the resort.

JoeCamel likes this.
  2. 12th Man

12th Man Member

Mike S, maroonmol, Dan B and 2 others like this.
  3. Dan B

Dan B Rookie

Ok another thing to take note, in the central area the slides are still covered with white sheeting to protect them which we have seen in all areas requiring concrete. the areas near these footers don't have over hangs of concrete rock work currently so no need to be covered however they are which again suggests to me the steel is still yet to be put in. Also they need plenty of access still central to the volcano for those platform areas near the drop slides so putting in that large rock work wall would surely hinder line of vision significantly for any crane operative?

4. Andysol

Andysol Member

The straight shot drop slides will beat you up- im a really thin guy at 6'2" 160lbs- and even with me it'll leave red marks on your back. I don't do them anymore. But the drop slides that only go down a few feet and then start the twisting are totally fine and not rough in the slightest. You can't see a damned thing, because water is all in your eyes- but it's not rough on your body.
    So y'all should still do those two that twist around.

5. MagicMagicMagic

MagicMagicMagic Newcomer

Forgive me if this has been posted, but new, somewhat recent (end of Jan. 2017) aerials were added to the Orange County Property Appraiser map:

OCPA Interactive MAP

Once it loads, select base map from the top left and choose "Aerial 2017 Prelims". You'll have to be on a computer and use a browser with Silverlight installed. edit: looks like it works on mobile too but it's a pain to use.

Even though we have much more recent drone images, it's nice to be able to zoom and pan freely with the map view.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    12th Man, Dan B, scott_walker and 3 others like this.
  6. ConvolutedFrippery

ConvolutedFrippery Premium Member

This is amazing.

7. Jonea32

Jonea32 Newcomer

So weird you should say that, I always find it's the complete opposite for me, I'm a similar size/weight to yourself but I was left battered and bruised by the drop slides at Aquatica which twist and turn but Summit Plummit/anything straight down leaves me with no pain or red marks :)

8. KFCbowlcombo

KFCbowlcombo Newcomer

Well then it's settled. I'll need to ride both and see which is more painful. For my own personal knowledge of course.....

Andysol and graspthesun like this.
  9. ConvolutedFrippery

ConvolutedFrippery Premium Member

I used this interactive map to create an overview of Universal's total land holdings at the South property. Go check it out on this thread: Universal Resort Expansion? | Page 201 | Orlando United Forums

This map is awesome, it shows you the exact plot and who owns it.

10. Jonea32

Jonea32 Newcomer

:lol: I hope you don't get bruised by both :box:

This is awesome by the way, Thanks :)

KFCbowlcombo likes this.
  11. Marle Brando

Marle Brando Newcomer

The waterfall testing.... After seeing this I'm convinced Universal just knocked it out of the park with this one. VB is already amazing!!!

Dan B likes this.
  12. scott_walker

scott_walker Premium Member

Awesome!

I'm guessing the map is barely a few weeks old if that.

Edit: If I get bored enough, I'll figure out the exact day this way taken. I've got a good estimate in knowing that it's late January to late February by Wet n Wild being completely drained and no slides in the kids section yet.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  13. scott_walker

This looks like the missing pieces for the rest of the volcano.
    vb pieces 2.JPG vb pieces 1.JPG

BrenRays, maroonmol, Andysol and 4 others like this.
  14. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Veteran Member

Good eye but I don't think it is enough. Those may be for outcrops, walls and ride station themeing. When you see the steel then the chips will fall. If it wern't spring break I would take a day and run up to see what I can see.

Dan B likes this.
  15. scott_walker

It's hard to tell how they're stacked. They could all be sitting perfectly one top of each other. The gap that's left is about 15-20% of the volcano and this might only be a small piece of the puzzle.

It's posts like this that really make me wonder what I'd be like if I lived in Orlando and how my wife would react to me take taking a long drive to take some photos of a fake volcano :lol:

16. scott_walker

17. fryoj

fryoj Veteran Member

If you use the orange county map and go to the new land by the convention center, it looks like they are staging the landscaping for VB there.

maroonmol, Teebin, Mike S and 3 others like this.
  18. @gentPerry

@gentPerry Newcomer

Nice find!
    upload_2017-3-22_8-2-51.png

maxairmike, maroonmol, Teebin and 5 others like this.
  19. Teebin

Teebin Legendary Member

Great good pics of the staging nursery. Any idea what the date was on the picture? It is interesting to me that they are staging so deep on the property. Note the shade area that was built. Every thing from Cast Iron plants to Rhapis excelsa would be placed there.